3 Home Maintenance Tips For San Jose Summers
In summer, your biggest concern should be about cooking enough food for your deck party, and not how to repair a rotted deck or a broken appliance. Prevention is the key to summer home maintenance in San Jose. By inspecting and fixing small issues you see, you can avoid larger, more expensive projects down the line. Here’s 3 summer home maintenance tips that help you remain in control of your home’s maintenance before big problems start.
1. Make Your Home More Energy Efficient
Summer is the perfect time in San Jose to make your home more energy efficient so that you can keep your home cool and your energy bills low. Begin by checking your windows and doors for air leaks. Add weatherstripping to doors or replace broken weatherstripping if you feel air leaking through. Inspect your windows’ caulking for any cracks or missing pieces and replace the broken sections.
Purchasing energy efficient window treatments like plantation shutters is another way you can reduce your energy bill - and potentially get a tax credit. Polywood® faux wood plantation shutters minimize the transfer of air through the glass in your windows. They’re 70% more energy efficient than normal wooden shutters and 1600% more energy efficient than aluminum blinds.
2. Spruce Up Your Porches And Patios
If you’re planning on throwing parties on your patio or deck this summer, check that it’s prepared for your guests. Start by checking your patio or deck for safety. Look around to see if there are any boards, supports, or steps that need to be replaced because they’re broken and can’t bear weight. Give your deck and patio a new look and protect it from the bright summer sun and rain by sealing or staining it.
Once you’ve fixed any soft boards and areas and sealed your patio, you’re ready for the fun part - making it shine. You can add interest to the windows and doors adjacent to your porch and patio by using window treatments such as sidelight shutters or plantation shutters for your french door or sliding doors. Then bring in stylish patio furniture or maybe even a fire pit. Landscape around your patio or porch to make it more colorful.
3. Maintain Large Appliances
Appliances that are broken or leak can put a stop to your fun summer plans. Here’s a list of things to watch out for with your major appliances to keep them running smoothly:
● Refrigerator. Clogged refrigerator coils can increase your utility bill since your fridge needs to work harder. It’s easy to unclog them by vacuuming them. Begin by unplugging your refrigerator and then use the crevice tool on your vacuum (or a coil cleaning brush attachment) to vacuum out and unclog the coils.
● Dishwasher. Check your dishwasher for any leaks or backed up water. Then deodorize it and give it a deep clean by adding a cup of vinegar to a cycle. The last step is to clean out the filter (located under the spray arms in most models) with soap and water.
● Washer and dryer. Inspect your washing machine hoses for any bulges, cracks, or leaks. If needed, replace the hoses. Once a year, you should clear out your dryer hose and exterior vent or pay a professional to do the job.
Have An Enjoyable Summer
By preventing large problems with your home and appliances, you can enjoy a pleasant summer. And if you want to give your house a beautiful look this summer with window treatments for your patios, living rooms, or kitchen, look through our idea gallery and then give us a ring for a free in-home consultation at 916-542-1305. We’ll show you all your window treatment options in San Jose and do all the work and installation so you can just relax and enjoy your summer.